- Bedrooms 7
- Bathrooms 8
- Sleeps 14
Daily maid service
Caretakers on site
Castello Vecchio is an extraordinary property located in the northern part of Cisterna di Latina in the Lazio region south of Rome. It is located on an immense private estate encompassing over 1000 acres of woodland, cork trees, cypress pines and pomegranate trees. Few people would suspect its existence and what it holds in its interior.
900 acres are classified as a natural monument. The estate is recognized not only for the presence of Roman archaeological remains and a medieval castle, but also as a protected area that supports many rare animal and plant varieties. The estate was bought in the 90s by the publisher and Italian Prince Carlo Caracciolo and renovated by the renowned architect Gae Aulenti. The property was then landscaped by the well-known landscape architects; Dan Pearson and Stuart Barfoot. The Caracciolo and Agnelli families stayed regularly at the Castello.
Over the years, the Castello Vecchio has been owned by several important families including the Frangipane family from 1262 to 1264, the Conti and Caetani families from 1386 to the end of the 16th century, the Borghese Toruzzi Velletri in the 17th century, then Cardinal Borgia Marzio Ginetti who participated in the election of Pope Alexander VI. In the 20th century the property was acquired by the Sbardella family who built the stables for their race horses and finally by Prince Caracciolo di Castagneto in 1991.
The current owners are offering this property as a rental, for the first time in it’s history, for a unique and awe inspiring experience of privilege and beauty.
Some remains of the old castle remain preserved such as several of the original walls that surrounded the entrance. There is also the frame of the Roman church and various old caves. The castle is surrounded by a beautiful English garden very similar to that of the famous and nearby Ninfa Gardens with lakes, streams and rare plants. Also, the Lake Giulianello, another natural monument, sits in the adjacent woods.
The main palazzo has very gracious furnishings both inside and out and all bathrooms, including those in the guest house, are ensuite. As well there is an immense library with a home theater. The pool is dramatically surrounded by the walls of the castle ruins and one has only to walk outside the door to experience an incredible variety of plant life, gardens, pools, all manner of formal and informal gardens. Not to mention a bamboo forest, cork tree forests and plains of inestimable beauty beyond the immediate cares of the palazzo.
Here one has incredible privacy and endless potential for walking, riding, relaxing and experiencing the best of this area and all of this a 20 minute train ride from Rome.
Many, many additional buildings on the property from stables to farmhouses can sleep 8/10 extra guests or staff on request.
4 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms
- Large entry hall
- One twin bedroom and bathroom with bath and hand shower
- One queen bedroom with ensuite bathroom with shower
- One queen bedroom with views onto gardens — Large bathroom with in floor tub with hand shower. Sink and toilet in separate cabinets
- Sitting area with bar
- Sitting room with TV
- Laundry room
- Elevator and stairs to second floor and lower level
- Large studio mezzanine with office area, desk and easy chairs
- Large living room with 2 sofa groupings and large fireplace, double height beamed ceiling
- Master bedroom with king bed, fireplace and triple exposures. Large bathroom with low tub and separate WC / bidet cabinet. Walk in shower with rain shower head, built in seat and hydro massage. Large dressing room with door into studio.
Downstairs lower level:
- Long room with very long dining table that seats 30.
- Dining area at end with 2 round tables each seating 4. French doors leading to outdoor pergola and dining, additional gardens and outdoor living area.
- Small kitchen and breakfast room. Door to outdoor terrace with small tables, lounge chairs and fountain.
- Staff area and large kitchen
3 bedrooms 4 bathrooms
- Outdoor stairs to guest level
- Queen bedroom. Bathroom with tub and hand shower. Dressing room WC and bidet in separate area.
- Queen bedroom with day bed. Bathroom and dressing room in separate area. WC in bathroom
- Separate entrance into large eat in kitchen leading into small hall / dining area
- Large living room with partial glass ceiling (greenhouse) and French doors to terrace and view of ruins that house the pool.
- King bedroom. Very large bathroom with bath and hand held shower, dressing room with WC.
Down 2 flights of stairs:
- Enormous library with sitting areas, large movie screen
- Powder room.
- Wine cellar
- Stairs to garden level.
- The caretaker’s apartment is at the base of the entry stairs
Amenities: AC, WIFI, Stereo, Satellite TV, Flat screen TV, hair dryers.
Distances: The Estate is located in the town of Cisterna di Latina which is 50 km south of Rome and can be reached by Air: There is a small airport 1 km from the estate where private planes may land with permission. Sea: (Anzio e Sabaudia) is 30 minutes. Train: 20 minutes by train from the center of Rome (Termini station) Car: The estate is a 45 minute drive from Fiumicino Airport and 30 minutes from Ciampino.