- Bedrooms 10
- Bathrooms 8
- Sleeps 20
Hair Dryers, Satellite TV, DVD, Pool, WIFI
ADSL high speed internet connection
Assistance is provided locally by the property’s very helpful owners, who speak English and divide their time between a separate house on the same estate as Girasole and their residence in Rome
Cooking classes can be arranged on the property for parties of six or more
Daily housekeeping all but Sunday
Bi-weekly linen and towel changes
Grounds and pool keeping
Extra maid service
Extra linen changes
Food and beverages
Rome – 1 hour 15 minutes
Florence – 2 hours 30 minutes
Viterbo – 1.5km
Railway station at Viterbo
Motorway exit on the far side of Viterbo, roughly 10km/6 miles along paved roads to the property’s entrance
Il Girasole is a graceful 17th century country manor that has been owned by the same family for three hundred years and is designated as a national monument. Set in splendid countryside just over an hour north of Rome, and an hour south of Umbria, the villa is ideally located for exploring Lazio’s Etruscan sites and Renaissance palaces, for golfing at one of several 18-hole courses – or for a day in the city or a jaunt up to Umbria.
Its large rooms are full of light and decorated with fine antiques and a sprinkling of ancestral portraits. The bedrooms, especially the master suite, are immensely comfortable with modern bathrooms. Outside, terraces and pergolas are filled with flowers provide additional sitting and dining areas. A lawn with clipped hedges leads down through the garden to a stunning, infinity-edged swimming pool overlooking the estate’s private olive groves and the hills leading towards Viterbo. In addition the owners have completely renovated a charming farmhouse dependence nearby on the property, making the property suitable for up to 20.
Main house/Lower ground floor:
- Large dining room
- Large and well equipped kitchen with fireplace,Conventional and wood oven,
- Well equipped wine cellar.
- Guest bathroom
Main house/Ground floor:
- Two grand hallways.
- TV room with fireplace leading out to a paved pergola.
- Two large sitting rooms, one with fireplace.
- Study leading out onto a terrace with garden furniture and dining table.
- Double bedroom with ensuite bathroom with shower.
- Double bedroom suite with a sitting room and a large bathroom with a jacuzzi and separate shower.
- Double bedroom sharing a bathroom with shower with
- Bedroom with a ‘French’ bed [suitable for one adult or two children].
- Double bedroom and
- Twin bedroom sharing a bathroom with bath and shower.
Guest House/First floor:
- Two double bedrooms with mezzanine with a single bed both with ensuite bathrooms with showers.
- Double bedroom with ensuite bathroom with bath.
Seven hectares/twenty acres of olive groves surround the property’s extensive lawns. The private swimming pool, 7 x 14m/23 x 46 feet, is set about 20m/65 feet from the house.
Activities: Tennis and thermal spa in Viterbo, 10 minutes. Riding stables at San Martin al Cimino, 10 minutes. 18-hole golf at Sutri, 20km/12 miles. The ebullient owner of Girasole teaches the cooking classes herself, and uses ingredients grown and/or produced on the property: herbs, tomatoes and virgin olive oil, as well as edible flowers. Participants can choose the menus in advance – or leave it up to her to design a menu based on seasonal delicacies. Romans have been escaping to country homes in this area for centuries. Some are open to the public, but many are still privately owned and house priceless collections of art and antiques. Visits to some of these homes may be arranged with advance notice.