- Bedrooms 6
- Bathrooms 7
- Sleeps 12
Large lakeside pool, Indoor pool
Maid(s), Cook, Concierge, Groundskeeper/Pool Maintenance
Daily maid service, Bed linen changed twice weekly
Groceries, Boat rental
The Villa is in the town of Ossuccio, approximately 20kms north of the town of Como.
Villa Il Balbiano is an exceptional and historical palazzo, the perfect venue for a celebration or family vacation on the breathtaking Lake Como. Situated on the western shore of Lake Como, the Villa is in the town of Ossuccio, approximately 20 km north of the town of Como.
Villa Giovio Balbiano was built by Cardinal Tolomeo Gallio at the end of the 16th century, after the drawings of Pellegrino Tibaldi, and was enlarged and embellished by Cardinal Durini in the 18th century.
In 1637, Marco Gallio, changed the layout of the grounds in order to obtain enough space to create the Italian garden. In 1787, the property was sold to Cardinal Angelo Maria Durini, papal nuncio, a lover of arts and letters, patron and collector. He made the Villa an authentic place of delight by enlarging the house and garden, erecting statues and fountains, and opening new avenues between hedges and pergolas.
The facade, with simple and sober lines, punctuated by gray stone ornamental carvings, is directly reflected in the water of Lake Como. All around stand statues and fountains. From the Strada Regina, a nymph flowered of blue iris leads to the path to the main house, lined with box hedges, where plane trees and cypresses grow.
In the late 18th century Balbiano hosted a gallant and frivolous society where festivals, banquets and dances followed one another relentlessly. The lounges housed recitation meetings, concerts or literary discussions. Inside,the spectacular baroque frescoes by the Recchi brothers in the early 17th century can still be seen. In the lobby, Cardinal Durini installed its rich library, known to all scholars of the time. Nearby, where the river empties into Perlana’s lake, the pipe works commissioned by Durini to stem the flow of water can still be admired.
The palatial interior contains 6460 sq. ft, over three floors recently fully renovated by the French decorator Jacques Garcia.
- Main entrance leads to the magnificent lobby decorated with original frescoes
- Dining room
- Winter garden
- Three salons. All these rooms have marble floors and original frescoes on the walls and ceilings.
- Kitchen and a covered terrace with working fireplace for outdoor dining.
- Indoor pool
- The lake view gallery leads to the studio
- Master suite
- Guest suite
- Cathedral ceiling Central Salon.
- Four luxurious bedrooms ensuite with their marble bathrooms, overlooking the Cathedral ceiling Central Salon. All the rooms are beautifully furnished with antiques.